Welcome to the Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (LABG) employment opportunities page. Here, we will provide you with information about a variety of career options with our organization. Our LABG staff have oportunities to ensure fairness, protect families and change lives through providing legal services for those who need it most in our communities. LABG offers employment for our four locations: Ashland, Covington, Lexington, and Morehead.
- LABG employs in the following categories:
- Secretarial Support
*Attorneys must be licensed to practice in the State of Kentucky or be eligible to pracitce in Kentucky based on licensure in another state. Additional qualifications are listed within each job description.
We encourage student involvement through partnerships with local universities and law schools. We provide placements for students seeking professional experience in all our employment categories. Students must apply for placement with Legal Aid of the Bluegrass in addition to the requirements set through their learning institution.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. Depending on the position, LABG offers excellent fringe benefits including including law school student loan benefit, state retirement, life insurance, long term disability insurance, health insurance, vacation, holidays and more.
The positions for which we are currently accepting applications are:
Legal Assistant- Covington, KY--Legal Aid of the Bluegrass seeks a Legal Assistant for its Covington, KY based office with a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky. The Legal Assistant supports the legal work of the assigned unit, conducts in-depth client interviews, creates legal documents for attorney review, and maintains substantive expertise in family and consumer law.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner. Establish and maintain relationships with clients to establish trust and obtain accurate and complete information.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and trainings if required.
- Perform basic client eligibility screening.
- Maintain substantive expertise in family law and/or bankruptcy.
- Conduct in-depth client interviews.
- Prepare legal documents
- Enter data appropriately in LABG’s electronic case management system.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system as per 45 CFR Part 1626 and per LABG’s procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
- Four-year degree from an accredited College or University or an Associate’s Degree in Paralegal or Legal Studies, or have equivalent experience (e.g. at least 5 years at Secretary II level).
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
Tips for submitting your resume:
- ) Submit your resume to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
- ) Include a writing sample and cover letter with your resume.
- ) Apply only for those jobs for which you qualify.
- ) Verify your contact information, patricularly your email and telephone number before you send your resume.