Legal Aid of Bluegrass, which has a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, seeks a Rental Assistance Paralegal to work from its Lexington office location. The Rental Assistance Paralegal will conduct outreach to Fayette County tenants in danger of eviction to assess their needs and provide them with information about housing resources. The Rental Assistance Paralegal conducts intake interviews, develops client service requests, and determines case eligibility based on income, asset, and case type. The Rental Assistance Paralegal will review community demographics, statistics, and service needs to develop reports, maintain an active caseload, and participate in court settings.
- Attend scheduled Fayette County eviction dockets and meet with people who are being evicted or who are in danger of eviction to assess their needs and provide them with information about housing resources.
- Address barriers that interfere with clients’ ability to effectively participate in saving their housing.
- Conduct activities intended to connect clients to wrap-around community resources.
- Initiate, foster, and nurture relationships with new and existing community partners to best serve the needs of those in danger of losing housing.
- Perform general initial factual intake to determine whether the applicant is eligible for service based on income, resource, and case type.
- Transfer eligible callers to the appropriate advocate, or create call-back records for advocates, to allow for the completion of the intake process.
- Design and implement community legal education activities, including workshops, pamphlets, and presentations to community groups.
- Maintain accurate and complete case files and complete forms required by program policies.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and training as required.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services or related administrative tasks. Enter accurate data into electronic case management systems.
- All other duties as required by the agency.
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Four-year degree from an accredited College or University or an associate degree in Paralegal or Legal Studies or have equivalent experience.
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing and have a pleasant telephone demeanor.
- Must be able to travel to courthouses, outreach events, trainings and other events.
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from four offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government, and housing and consumer law. It has been and will continue to be the policy of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, we believe that diversity and inclusion is critical – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and success. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that they are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives. The position is open until filled.
- Cover letter
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Rental Assistance Paralegal.