Welcome to the Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (LABG) employment opportunities page. Here, we will provide you with information about a variety of career options with our organization. Our LABG staff have oportunities to ensure fairness, protect families and change lives through providing legal services for those who need it most in our communities. LABG offers employment for our four locations: Ashland, Covington, Lexington, and Morehead.
- LABG employs in the following categories:
- Secretarial Support
*Attorneys must be licensed to practice in the State of Kentucky or be eligible to pracitce in Kentucky based on licensure in another state. Additional qualifications are listed within each job description.
We encourage student involvement through partnerships with local universities and law schools. We provide placements for students seeking professional experience in all our employment categories. Students must apply for placement with Legal Aid of the Bluegrass in addition to the requirements set through their learning institution.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer who celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. Depending on the position, LABG offers excellent fringe benefits including including law school student loan benefit, state retirement, life insurance, long term disability insurance, health insurance, vacation, holidays and more.
The positions for which we are currently accepting applications are:
Staff Attorney- Morehead Office
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass seeks a full-time Staff Attorney for its Morehead, Kentucky based office.The Staff Attorneywill practice in typical poverty law areas, such as foreclosure, housing, family law, domestic violence, public benefits, and veteran’s benefits. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a dynamic civil legal aid provider seeking public interest minded attorneys to help us reach our goal of alleviating the profound and brutal effect of poverty on people’s lives. As a team member at Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, attorneys can participate with us in ensuring fairness, protecting families and changing lives through the civil legal system.
The Staff Attorney provides high-quality civil legal advice and advocacy for eligible clients in all forums, including the courts, administrative agencies, and community outreach initiatives.The Attorney will:
- Provide civil legal representation to eligible clients consistent with professional standards and policies and procedures of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass and funding sources, including preparing legal briefs and documents, and developing strategy, arguments and testimony in order to present cases in court and other forums.
- Work with private attorneys as required facilitating the delivery of legal services to eligible clients through the private bar.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and records, and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services and/or related administrative tasks.
- Enter accurate data into LABG’s electronic case management system.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner.
- In coordination with the Program Administration, develop and implement a plan for advocacy work within program priorities and funding that balances service, community education, and other activities.
- Identify and pursue individual training needs and work with Program Administration to address those needs.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and trainings if required.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Must hold a Law degree (J.D.) from an accredited School of Law, be admitted to practice law in the State of Kentucky, and be in good standing with the Kentucky Bar or be eligible for admission to the Kentucky Bar under Kentucky Supreme Court Rule 2.112 if admitted to practice law in another state.(July Bar Takers may apply).
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
- Ability to balance client-advocacy and administrative responsibilities.
With a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.orgwith the subject line Staff Attorney-Morehead
Office Assistant with Accounts Payable functions for Covington office
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, with a 50-year history of making a positive impact in Kentucky, seeks an Office Assistant for its Covington, KY based office. TheOffice Assistant mans the front desk, supports the legal work of the assigned office, directs callers and visitors in the office, greets clients and conducts client interviews, performs eligibility screening and when required, creates legal documents for attorney review. For this position, the Office Assistant will have an intimate role in the accounting processes of the program, and will perform accounts payable functions.
Answer telephones, take messages, direct calls, and provide information to callers from the front desk of the office.
Greet visitors to the office and schedule appointments.
Perform basic client eligibility screening, and when asked, open and close files.
Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner. Establish and maintain relationships with clients to establish trust and obtain accurate and complete information.
Perform accounting functions like creating purchase orders and managing supply inventories for the office, scanning invoices, entering Accounts Payable invoices into accounting software, logging checks received, maintaining paperless accounting processes, etc.
Enter data appropriately in LABG’s electronic case management system.
Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system as per 45 CFR Part 1626 and per LABG’s procedures.
Provide word processing support, compose letters and draft simple court pleadings when required.
Other duties as assigned
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Office Administration or related field preferred. Legal Secretarial experience or training and at least a high school diploma required. Office accounting or accounts payable experience required.
Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing.
Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management, accounting, excel and word processing software.
Must be highly effective working with the public
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government and VA benefits, and housing and consumer law. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development. The position is open until filled.
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Office Assistant-Covington
Tips for submitting your resume:
- ) Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
- ) Include a writing sample and cover letter with your resume.
- ) Apply only for those jobs for which you qualify.
- ) Verify your contact information, patricularly your email and telephone number before you send your resume.